#EventProfs Community Job Board
The free job board for event & marketing professionals.
Summary: The Assistant Director of Meetings and Events reports to the Director of Meetings and Events. This position serves as an additional leader on the meetings and events team, providing logistical and planning support for ASTHO sponsored events, working with both internal and external clients. This position will serve as the lead meeting support for complex meetings and events to be assigned by the director. The Assistant Director also serves as the main liaison for contracts management, develops event guidelines and procedures, and provides supervision of two direct reports.
Anticipated salary: $80,000 Extended experience: up to $95,000 if experience exceeds expectations
- Consult with project teams and/or external clients to conceptualize and design events based on their needs, especially with complex, hybrid meetings and events.
- Design implementation plans based on the scope of events including timelines, staffing needs, and deadlines for executing meeting logistics.
- Serve as a liaison between the finance and meetings department to ensure proper implementation of ASTHO policies and guidelines and full payment/reconciliation process (credit applications, reimbursements, vendor deposits and invoices, speaker agreements, etc.).
- Manage and review venue contracts, independent contractor agreements, logistics documents, and/or banquet event orders to ensure they reflect meeting and event needs.
- Support the hosting and logistical implementation of in-person and hybrid events with professionalism, sensitivity, and diplomacy under pressure.
- Serve as main liaison to ASTHO travel management company. Will include managing process updates and implementation, distributing reconciliation reports, handling approval requests, and staff communications.
- Work with Director to develop and maintain event guidelines and procedures. Manage meeting and event communications to staff and lead staff instructional meetings.
- Supervise two direct reports, ensuring their responsibilities are met. Will include job evaluation and other related managerial duties.
- Travel to and provide on-site meeting management for ASTHO in-person/hybrid events.
- Work with Event Specialist to ensure proper online registration and engagement tracking for ASTHO events.
- Work with Coordinator to ensure organizational calendar (OneASTHO calendar) is comprehensive and up to date.
- Establish relationships with vendors and solicit bids to accommodate meeting needs including AV service providers, printers, live streaming companies, transportation services, etc.
- Oversee the development of event programs, agendas, signage, and other materials to ensure consistency and adherence to ASTHO’s style guide.
- Monitor event activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, and resolution of any problems that arise.
- Close out events as required and provide proper justification to finance.
- Create and provide meeting reports to the Meeting and Events Director on a regular basis.
- Keep current on meeting format trends and changes to improve the quality of ASTHO’s meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 4+ years in an event/meeting planning autonomous manager role.
- Demonstrated experience planning hybrid learning events.
- Managerial or supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 40% is required.
Specific skills needed:
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Organization skills to support multiple projects and deadlines.
- Candidate must possess a strong knowledge of excel and have experience working with databases and virtual event software and applications.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team is required.
- Active Listening — Give full attention to what other people are saying, take time to understand the points being made and ask questions as appropriate.
- Experience working for membership association and/or government officials is preferred.
About Us: ASTHO is the national nonprofit organization representing the public health agencies of the United States, the U.S. territories and Freely Associated States, and the District of Columbia, as well as the more than 100,000 public health professionals these agencies employ. ASTHO members, the chief health officials of these jurisdictions, are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy and to ensuring excellence in public health practice. ASTHO is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia with a regional office in Atlanta, GA. ASTHO was incorporated on March 23, 1942 with the goal of helping health officials navigate a rapidly changing public health landscape and remains a strong voice in governmental public health.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: ASTHO is an all-encompassing diverse and inclusive organization that respects and celebrates every person’s strengths, assets, and values, eliminating inequities and biases in all facets of activities and operations. ASTHO is committed to leading organizational change efforts that support racial healing, racial justice, and transformation within state and territorial public health agencies.
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, ASTHO accepts the responsibility to follow CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. ASTHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all ASTHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.