#EventProfs Community Job Board
The free job board for event & marketing professionals. Help us spread the word by sharing our job board on LinkedIn!
The Meeting & Events Manager oversees and ensures that meetings and events align with the AOA goals, objectives, and quality standards. This position manages convention center logistics, such as AV, catering, labor, room sets, tradeshow decorator, and transportation in advance, on-site, and post-conference for Optometry's Meeting, as well as oversees and manages additional AOA-related meetings and events end-to-end, as assigned. This highly collaborative role works closely with other departments, leadership, and volunteers and is innovative, forward-thinking, and always looking at continuous improvement.
- Leads planning and collaborates with internal stakeholders on flagship events at Optometry's Meeting, such as the Opening Session, Opening Reception, Celebration of Optometry, AOA+, and Exhibit Hall Opening.
- Drives convention center planning, strategically approaches logistics, and manages convention-related contractors, including requests for proposal (RFP), contracting, licensing, floorplans, transportation, rigging, electric, security, signage, catering, budgeting, run of show, and audio-visual.
- Manages event logistics platform, contracted vendor, and internal staff process, including buildout, testing, submissions, compiling of specs, and reporting for Optometry's Meeting related events, looking for new ways to improve and streamline.
- Collaborates with the Communications and Marketing Group to develop and implement deadlines for OM marketing-related materials, show look, photographer, post-event survey, and related deliverables.
- Work closely with the Education Center and Industry Relations Center on developing new sponsorship and member experience opportunities, including digital, print, educational, and interactive engagements.
- Develops annual budget related to assigned areas at Optometry's Meeting and ensures areas of responsibility fall within budgeted expense goals, communicating any variances or challenges.
- Coordinates, schedules, and supports future site visit planning as needed, working with CVB/DMO, venues, and vendors.
- Liaison to AOSA during OM, providing meeting planning support related to AOSA's planning, space needs, or logistics.
- Leads strategic logistics support/meeting planning for high-touch events (live and virtual), including AOA on Capitol Hill, Presidents Council, AOSA-related meetings, AOA special projects, optometry-related conferences, and additional meetings as assigned.
- Coordinates all aspects of assigned AOA meetings, including assisting in budget development and management, project timelines, run of show, scheduling, site selection, space assignments, catering, vendor communications, event marketing, and on-site support, as needed.
- Updates, distributes, and reviews RFPs. Requests and negotiates proposals, provides suggestions in line with budget, and assists in contracting.
- Manages AOA's internal meeting submission process, including design, testing, timely staff support, collaborating with finance, and sharing best practices and training information with staff.
- Assists in strategic planning related to logistics and registration, including researching innovative technology and programs and collaborating and developing strategies with internal and external stakeholders to increase participation at meetings and other organizational offerings.
- Utilizes Personify to build out registration for assigned events, runs tests, communicates issues/updates, and compiles reports as needed.
- Organizes and maintains files and databases related to AOA meetings, including best practices, historical tracking, emergency preparation plans, and cancellation policies and guidelines.
- Assists the Director as staff support to the Meetings Center Committee and provides suggestions to improve the committee experience.
- Engages in meeting/event and association industry groups and regularly researches to keep abreast of industry trends and best practices, and shares with staff and leadership as applicable.
- Cross-trains with and supports the Senior Meeting Planner with various activities as needed.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- 7+ years of meeting planning experience required; not-for-profit or medical association experience preferred.
- Experience planning an annual meeting or events with an attendance of 4,000+, working directly with convention centers and union/vendor labor.
- Must have successfully planned and deployed logistics from end to end for in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
- Strong project management skills with attention to detail, including an in-depth understanding of meeting management processes.
- Must be able to successfully multitask and balance conflicting priorities and competing deadlines and effectively manage multiple projects.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication, organizational skills, and experience presenting to staff and leadership.
- Experience working closely with senior and volunteer leadership preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively across all levels of the organization as well as external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success with budgeting and financial management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Especially Microsoft Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Experience with Personify, OnPeak, Cvent, or similar vendors.
- Project management and conference/meeting logistics software experience preferred (Attendee Interactive).
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation preferred.
This position requires travel to site visits and meetings 8-10 times per year or as needed.